Saturday, March 8, 2014

Blog Post #8

Discovery Education
This is the best site I've found for teachers so far. I am student teaching in a 1st grade class right now and I love it, so I went under the teachers tab and clicked K-5 for my grade. The top link that popped up was called "Brain Boosters." I had no idea what this was so I clicked on the link to browse the Brain Booster library and I found myself looking at all of these different 5 minute exercises that I could do with my class. These exercises are divided into categories i.e(Categorization, Logic, Number and Math Play, Reasoning, Spatial Awareness, & Word and Letter Play). My favorite category was Number and Math Play because Math is my favorite subject and I love kid's math even more. I would love doing this with my class a couple times a week because I feel like this will improve their thinking strategies more and more every day that we do a new one. Some of it is critical thinking and some of it is logical thinking and it would always be different exercises so they wouldn't know what to expect. I would probably let them work in groups if it is something they need to talk about with their peers. I chose this tool because it is a very creative and effective way to communicate as a class and hopefully the kids would enjoy it. I might try some of these with my 1st grade class I am overseeing this semester and see how it works out.

Brain Boosters

1 comment: