Sunday, March 2, 2014

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

Blogpost #7

Randy's Lecture
The main argument of Randy Pausch was to never give up on your childhood dreams. He outlined all of his childhood dreams he had as a boy and told/ showed us step by step how he achieved these dreams successfully. He says "The inspiration and permission to dream is huge." This man was such an inspirational person to many people and now that I have watched the video, I can see why. I think he was more of a motivational speaker than a professor. "When you are screwing up still and nobody's saying anything to you anymore, then that means they gave up on you," this quote hit right in my heart and i'm sure it did to other people too. Randy talked about his failures before he got to the dream and he says that "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." Anytime you are trying to get to your dream or something you want, there will always be obsticles in the way. "The brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things."
Achieve Your Dreams

Randy then goes on to his teaching years as a professor and tels all about his classes and projects they have done. Randy says that "the best gift an educator can give, is to make a student be self-reflective." This statement is so true, I hope that one day I will be able to do this in my classroom. At the end of his lecture he listed some of his main purposes of this lecture. He said that in life, we need to decide whether we are Tigger or Eeyore; never lost childlike wonder, it's what drives us, and to help others. I really enjoyed watching this because he was really such an inspiration to so many people and now he has inspired me to follow my dreams.

Give Yourself Permission to Dream

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, you did a good job on your blog post. I also believe that Randy would have made a great motivational speaker. You quoted from Randy Pausch "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted". I believe as teachers we will develop a lot of experience, because as teachers we will not always get what we wanted. Some one once said to me, "teachers need to realize everything that possibly could go wrong will go wrong at least once in your teaching career". Great job Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think he was more of a motivational speaker than a professor." I disagree. Answer these questions and see if you maintain your position: Was he more of a coach or a teacher? Did he use PBL? How were his classes different from the ones you have taken? Although you watched a lecture do you think that lectures played a significant part in his teaching? What role does fun play in learning? What did he mean by "head fake learning"? Why "raise the bar"? Did Dr. Pausch encourage self-reflection and self-evaluation?

    In fact, you make the same case in the part of your post after the sentence i quoted!

    ReplyDelete