Sunday, April 13, 2014

Blog Post #12

What assistive technologies are available to you as a teacher??

Assistive technology is available to help individuals with many different types of disabilities. This can give kids a sense of independence like they have never had before. Kids with disabilities have always depended on their family or friends to take care of them, but now they can depend on themselves by using assistive technology. In the video The Mountbatten, I was amazed at how far technology has changed the lives of so many people. I had no idea that there were devices such as the mountbatten that could help the blind with technology.

Assistive Technology


Once I seen how much technology has changed so many lives, I was intrigued to learn what other devices were out there to help individuals with disabilities. While searching, I discoverd The National Center for Learning Disabilities website. I found that there are apps to help children with their writing skills who have dysgraphia and dyslexia, math problems, and even organizational problems; this is an amazing thing! I had no idea that technology could be such a tool for learning. There are also alternative keyboards that are specially programmed to customise the appearance and function of the standard keyboard.
As a learning educator, I can honestly say that I learn something new every day just by going to school for education. I hope to one day help every student in my class in their very own special way, even if we do have to have assistive technology. I plan to focus on each child's strengths instead of their weaknesses.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    After watching the few videos, I too was amazed at just how much technology has changed lives. It's so great that these types of tools are available to teachers. Assistive technologies can help provide a much better learning environment for those with disabilities and for those without. I really enjoyed looking at the website you found. There was lots of great information. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete